Monday, April 2, 2012

Walkabout: back to the beach

An early start to this day off and I finally made it back to the beach for my first “ambassadorial” stroll on the sand. I really have to make peace with being morning person at this stage of my life. That’s when my mental and physical energy is at its zenith. The hard truth is, regardless of the long Florida days when I put it off it never gets done.

Living on the west coast of Florida, we are famous for our sunsets. Each evening, crowds gather at along the Gulf to watch the sun sink into the sea. Urged on by others, I made such forays and walked the beach as the sky kissed the earth goodnight. And I came away unfulfilled.

I am a sunrise person. Back “home” along the (real) Jersey Shore, the sun rises out of a grey Atlantic, lighting up a fresh clean new day, alive with possibilities. And the boardwalks provide the perfect walking/running surface. Ah, my homesickness is showing. Well, soon enough I will be back for a long while. But that’s a story for another day.

But I digress. Back to the beach.

I rarely walk the sand in shoes. It’s either barefoot or my Orthaheel flips. Again, these extraordinary walking shoes surprised me. I stuck to the compact sand far from the water and it was a joy. These featherweight shoes walked the edge of being super comfy and responsive to the uneven terrain.

I fear I will never be satisfied with any other shoe.

I can live with that.

No comments: